The Correspondence School was established to provide education for rural students living too far away to attend the local schools. It was temporarily located in a large house at 16 St George’s Terrace, Perth (then the location of the Education Department) and the Correspondence School was in the kitchen. The first teacher, Mrs EH Atkinson, was appointed as a teacher for the students, however 55 students enrolled and a second teacher, Mr C Eakins was appointed after the initial enrolments were so positive. By the end of 1918 there were 73 students enrolled between the ages of 5 and 16.

Print this page