SIDE is an online school and the government provider of K-12 distance education in Western Australia.
Approval of enrolment at SIDE is based on:
- eligibility criteria being met, and
- documentation being provided.
There is a minimum enrolment period of one Western Australian school semester and students must be of compulsory school age. Each student’s enrolment eligibility is regularly reviewed.
To apply to enrol, a student must be a resident of Western Australia and an approved Australian resident.
The following categories are guidelines for determining enrolment eligibility. Application enrolment links can be found on each category page.
- enrolled full-time in a registered dance/ballet school
- involved in elite performance including sport, theatre and music
- geographically isolated
- temporarily living overseas or travelling within Australia or overseas and who do not have access to suitable schooling.
Go to the Home Based Enrolments application page.
This category covers situations where:
- specialist teachers are not available
- students transfer between schools
- there are timetabling constraints within a school.
Go to the School Based Enrolments application page.
- severe medical/chronic health problems
- severe mental health issues
- pregnancy or parenting responsibilities
- other special cases.
See the Referral Program for further information.
SIDE can no longer enrol students who have turned 18 and have left school. See information on alternative options.
Students, who do not fit any of the above categories, may still apply to enrol with SIDE. To do so, they need to gain approval from their relevant Regional Executive Director, who will then liaise with the Principal of SIDE.
The final decision regarding eligibility is made by the Principal of SIDE.