SIDE is an online school and the government provider of K-12 distance education in Western Australia.
Approval of enrolment at SIDE is based on:
- eligibility criteria being met, and
- documentation being provided.
There is a minimum enrolment period of one Western Australian school semester and students must be of . Each student’s enrolment eligibility is regularly reviewed. compulsory school age
To apply to enrol, a student must be a resident of Western Australia and an approved Australian resident.
The following categories are guidelines for determining enrolment eligibility.
This category covers students who are:
- geographically isolated
- temporarily living overseas or travelling within Australia or overseas and who do not have access to suitable schooling
- involved in elite performance including sport, theatre and music
- enrolled full-time in a registered dance/ballet school.
Go to the Home Based Enrolments application page.
Students for whom their base school cannot provide an appropriate course.
This category covers situations where:
- specialist teachers are not available
- students transfer between schools
- there are timetabling constraints within a school.
Go to the School Based Enrolments application page.
Students can apply to enrol with SIDE through the Referral Program. This Program is coordinated by SIDE’s school psychologists and is designed to provide support for students who are unable to attend a regular school due to:
- severe medical/chronic health problems
- severe mental health issues
- pregnancy or parenting responsibilities
- other special cases.
See the Referral Program for further information.
SIDE can no longer enrol students who have turned 18 and have left school. See information on alternative options.
Students, who do not fit any of the above categories, may still apply to enrol with SIDE. To do so, they need to gain approval from their relevant Director of Schools, who will then liaise with the Principal of SIDE.
The final decision regarding eligibility is made by the Principal of SIDE.