Special Circumstances Enrolments (Referral Program)
SIDE’s Referral Program provides for students who have special circumstances that impact on school attendance/engagement. The Program is coordinated by SIDE’s school psychologists.
Please note: The 2020 cut-off date for enrolment in SIDE’s Referral Program for students with special circumstances is Friday 11th September 2020. Enquires can be made for 2021.
SIDE’s school psychologists gather information from a number of sources to assess eligibility (the family, the student’s current school, and clinician/specialist).
To be eligible for the Referral Program there must be:
- Evidence that the student is genuinely unable to attend a regular school or an alternative education program
- Ongoing counselling, treatment or other appropriate intervention.
Enrolment in the Referral Program is not a long term alternative to regular schooling. Students need to be working towards re-integration back into a school or alternative program.
Categories of eligibility:
- Chronic illness/Severe medical condition
- Severe mental health
- Pregnant and parenting young people
- Other unforeseen and extraordinary circumstances
- Eligible students in Years 7-10, Government Schools remain enrolled in their school while accessing SIDE’s Referral Program. SIDE works in partnership with the student’s current school.
- Eligible students in Years 7-10, Non-Government schools remain enrolled in their school while accessing SIDE’s Referral Program. Schools and parents/guardians need to be aware of the charges associated with the school partnership.
- Students in Years 11-12 enrolling in SIDE’s Referral Program will generally be enrolled with SIDE as a CURRENT student.
To make an enquiry about the Referral Program for a student with special circumstances, phone SIDE on 9311 1400. A SIDE school psychologist will contact you to determine if the student is eligible.
SIDE’s receipt of an application for enrolment does not necessarily confirm enrolment.